Preventing Cavities in Epsom: Your Guide to Oral Health
Cavities, also known as tooth decay, are tiny holes that develop in the hard surface of your teeth. While common among children and teenagers, cavities can affect individuals of all ages, including infants and toddlers. Let’s delve into the causes of cavities and effective prevention strategies:
Causes of Cavities
- Dry Mouth: Lack of saliva allows food particles to linger on teeth, promoting decay.
- Foods and Drinks: Certain items, like soda and sugary snacks, contribute to cavity formation.
- Constant Snacking or Sipping: Frequent consumption of food or drinks leads to increased bacteria and acid production.
- Lack of Fluoride: Fluoride, found in toothpaste and mouthwash, helps prevent and reverse tooth decay.
Cavity Prevention Tips
- Brush with Fluoride Toothpaste: Brush and floss twice daily to remove plaque and food particles.
- Regular Dental Visits: Schedule checkups and cleanings every six months to maintain optimal oral health.
- Dental Sealants: Protective coatings applied to teeth shield enamel from plaque and bacteria.
If you suspect a cavity or experience tooth decay symptoms, don’t hesitate to contact our Epsom office immediately at 09-524-5056.